UN to give US$13 million to cyclone hit Mozambique, Comoros

UNITED NATIONS, The United Nations on Sunday said it will provide Mozambique and the Comoros Islands US$13 million as the two countries struggled with the aftermath of a second cyclone to hit the region in a month.

The funds will be provided for food and water and repair damage to infrastructures, the organisation said late on Sunday.

Cyclone Kenneth crashed into the northern province of the southern African nation on Thursday. Last month Cyclone Idai had hit further south.

Cyclone Kenneth hit the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado late on Thursday, flattening entire villages with winds of up to 280 kph (174 mph).

The World Bank meanwhile has estimated that countries in the region will over $2 billion to recover from the damages inflicted by the storms, reported Reuters.

Mozambique also faces a cholera epidemic after the cyclone wiped out water and sanitation facilities.

This new allocation of Central Emergency Response Fund funds will help humanitarian partners to scale up the response to address the needs of those most vulnerable in the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth, said UN Humanitarian Chief Mark Lowcock in a statement.

Earlier in April The International Monetary Fund (IMF) granted the southern African nation a $118.2 million credit facility.

Source: NAM New Network