MOZAMBICAN GOVT ASSURES VICTIMS OF NATURAL DISASTERS OF CONTINUED HUMANITARIAN AID

MAPUTO, The Mozambican government has assured that continued humanitarian assistance is guaranteed for the victims of recent natural disasters, notably of Cyclone Dineo which hit the southern province of Inhambane in mid-February.

Speaking to reporters at the end of the weekly session of the Council of Ministers (Cabinet) here Tuesday, the Government Spokesperson, Deputy Health Minister Mouzinho Saide, said the government had analysed a report on the emergency situation over the past fortnight, which indicated that some of the damage done by Dineo had been repaired.

The government had been informed that the relief agency, the National Disasters Management Institute (INGC), has removed the orange alert which had been in place since January, since there was no longer any imminent threat. At the same time, Saide added, the Council of Ministers was informed that continued humanitarian assistance is guaranteed for the people affected.

Of the 2,222 classrooms destroyed by Dineo, 1,535 have now been repaired, Saide said, but work still has to be done on the remaining 687. Of the seven water supply system in Inhambane damaged during the cyclone, two have been rehabilitated.

Saide said that during Tuesday’s meeting, the Council of Ministers had approved Bills to amend the tax regime and fiscal benefits for mining and for petroleum operations. He gave no detail of the changes, which will not take effect until approved by parliament.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK