DEMILITARISATION OF FORMER REBEL MOVEMENT BEGINS SATURDAY – MOZAMBICAN PRES NYUSI

MAPUTO– The President of Mozambique Filipe Nyusi announced that demilitarization and integration of armed men of the former rebel movement, presently the main opposition party Renamo, will begin Saturday.

“We will commence the process for demilitarization, demobilization and integration from the coming Saturday,” said the president, adding by Saturday, all the experts invited to witness this process will be in Maputo.

According to Nyusi, the experts are from Tanzania, Zimbabwe, the United States, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, Norway and India, a group to be led by a general from Argentina.

The president appealed all internal entities to join in the process and do their best to contribute to the country’s long lasting peace.

The announcement came on the day when Mozambique celebrated the anniversary since the rival parties signed the Rome General Peace Accords in Rome in 1992, which put an end to a bloody civil war lasting for more than a decade.

Insurgents had killed 90 people and left about 1,000 homeless since the attacks began a year ago in the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado, the Police General Commander of Mozambique said Thursday.

“The armed men, until now, have killed 90 Mozambican citizens and seriously injured 67 Mozambicans,” said commander Bernardino Rafael, who was speaking to the press in Maputo during the 25th anniversary of the signing of the General Agreement on Peace and Reconciliation between the government and the main opposition party, Renamo.

According to Rafael, actions by the Defence and Security Forces have culminated in the arrest of 280 people suspected of involvement in the attacks and three camps were destroyed.

“There is work that the police are doing together with the communities, the Defense and Security Forces continue to work to protect the populations of that region,” he said.

The attacks come at a time when natural gas is under exploitation in that province, and a study released earlier this year pointed to social exclusion as the cause of the conflict.

On Wednesday, 189 suspects were put on trial at the Judicial Court of the province of Cabo Delgado. The defendants are reported to be from countries including Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Burundi and Kenya.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK