Congo probes video showing apparent massacre by soldiers

Later on Saturday, however, the communications minister dismissed the footage as a “montage” put together by opposition figures living in Belgium, Congo’s former colonial power.

The seven-minute video, which was shared widely on social media and seen by Reuters, shows men in Congolese army uniforms saying they are participating in an operation against the Kamwina Nsapu militia.

It was not possible to confirm the video’s authenticity independently or establish when it was recorded.

Congolese forces have been battling an uprising by the militia in the central Kasai province which erupted when they killed its leader, Kamwina Nsapu, in

August.

The United Nations said this week it had received reports that the army had killed at least 101 people in clashes in the region between Feb. 9 and Feb. 13, including 39 women.

Congolese Human Rights Minister Marie-Ange Mushobekwa said a probe had been launched into the video.

“Since we received the video, the ministries of human rights, interior, justice and defence have been working on it … to try to authenticate these images,” she told Reuters.

Source: Angola Press News Agency