100 PEOPLE UNDER ARREST AFTER ABORTIVE ISLAMIST ATTACKS IN NORTHERN MOZAMBIQUE

MAPUTO, About 100 people have been detained in connection with an abortive islamist uprising in Mocimboa da Praia district in the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado on Oct 5, according to the Public Prosecutor’s Office in the province.

The independent daily O Pais reported Tuesday that 50 of those detained have had their detention formalised, and the detainees will stand trial. The delays in the other cases, the Public Prosecutor said, is because everything is being done to ensure that the detainees enjoy the right of defence.

A prosecution source told O Pais that the great majority of the detainees are Mozambican citizens, and they include some women. However, there are some foreigners but the source did not reveal how many, or from which countries they came.

Furthermore, the attacks in Mocimboa da Praia, in which 16 people — two policemen, a community leader and 13 Islamists — died, did not come as a complete surprise. The source said there had been earlier disturbances in the district of Chiure, where we had cases of individuals who were using religion to commit certain acts which, as far as we are concerned, are contrary to the established order in the Republic of Mozambique.

Some of the people arrested in Chiure were brought to trial and sentenced. The source gave no further details. This is the first time there has been any mention of the Chiure islamist disturbances in the Mozambican media.

Last week the Cabo Delgado provincial government met with the local moslem community to discuss the Mocimboa da Praia attacks. The provincial branch of the Islamic Council of Mozambique denounced the attacks and promised to collaborate with the authorities to ensure peace and stability.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

100 PEOPLE UNDER ARREST AFTER ABORTIVE ISLAMIST ATTACKS IN NORTHERN MOZAMBIQUE

MAPUTO, About 100 people have been detained in connection with an abortive islamist uprising in Mocimboa da Praia district in the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado on Oct 5, according to the Public Prosecutor’s Office in the province.

The independent daily O Pais reported Tuesday that 50 of those detained have had their detention formalised, and the detainees will stand trial. The delays in the other cases, the Public Prosecutor said, is because everything is being done to ensure that the detainees enjoy the right of defence.

A prosecution source told O Pais that the great majority of the detainees are Mozambican citizens, and they include some women. However, there are some foreigners but the source did not reveal how many, or from which countries they came.

Furthermore, the attacks in Mocimboa da Praia, in which 16 people — two policemen, a community leader and 13 Islamists — died, did not come as a complete surprise. The source said there had been earlier disturbances in the district of Chiure, where we had cases of individuals who were using religion to commit certain acts which, as far as we are concerned, are contrary to the established order in the Republic of Mozambique.

Some of the people arrested in Chiure were brought to trial and sentenced. The source gave no further details. This is the first time there has been any mention of the Chiure islamist disturbances in the Mozambican media.

Last week the Cabo Delgado provincial government met with the local moslem community to discuss the Mocimboa da Praia attacks. The provincial branch of the Islamic Council of Mozambique denounced the attacks and promised to collaborate with the authorities to ensure peace and stability.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK